The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Scarey




With a little male Fairy Wren trapped in my aviary there was only one thing to do before releasing it. Capture it on camera.

This was done from all angles, then, I noted I had two budgies out of the cage. Right, they had to go back into their Mummies so a littler spray of water did the trick and soon they were safely inside.

How did they get out?
Well, every nook and cranny was searched and at last the little bad place was found.
So, out came the hammer and nails and the minor repair was done, plus attention was given to a few other places.

In and out of the aviary door on the minute ..... soon, it was out of the aviary door and hammer and nails were replaced where they could be found another day.

Then, there was the little job of getting the Fairy Wren out. A net did the trick and soon, he was flying freely through the lovely trees.

I went back inside to lock everything up and see all baby budgies were safe, yep, all was well, then turned to leave the aviary then stood transfixed with shock and fright. Hanging from netting on the aviary roof was a 3 and a half foot long King Brown snake. And, it was right next to the door in the aviary.



How does one react to a situation like that? Well, I did the norm. I screamed then did the snake dance to find out where the bite was.

If an ant had bitten me at that time only God knows how intense the reaction would have been.

I think I stared at that snake for about 5 minutes unable to make a sound. How many times had I been within it's deadly reach? I couldn't have counted!

Then, it had to be checked to see how much life was in it. *ugh*

Suddenly, the aviary door seemed menancing so a long twig in the aviary was used to touch it's tail. It didn't move.

A few shudders went through me as I stared at the thing, then I noted a blow to it's body. How the heck?????!!

I looked at it's beady eyes. They looked dead. The body was examined by eye. It looked lifeless but I had found out not to be fooled by the look.

I touched the snake with the long twig again. It didn't move. There was not an ounce of life in it's body.

Very gingerly this time, I edged out the aviary door sideways. The snake was well and truly twisted in that white netting but the next step was to get the thing out!

That mean't cutting the netting and letting it drop.

Scissors duly got, the return to the aviary was slow, a long handled spade was also grabbed in case it showed life when it dropped.

Cutting it out was a nightmare. It was obvious it was dead but it was still a snake!

All the birds watched me in silence and I knew what had frightened them so much two had left the aviary.

Soon, the plop to the ground was heard. It didn't move. Lying there was one dead snake.

Now it had to be removed from the aviary....

I was so glad I remembered that long handled spade. And, the photo of the thing shows where I dropped it in the paddock - then fled.

This is quite a meal for the kookaburra's and ants.

Then, it was time to examine myself for ANY bites whatsoever!! Found none.

I cannot understand the blow to the body as my birds could not have done that - one can only assume God knew and went before me, or sent one of His Angels before me to deliver the mortal blow to one of the deadliest snakes on earth.

Praise God!!

5 Comments:

  • At 27 January, 2007 21:23, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my God!!!! I will be having nightmares tonight! How horrifying!

     
  • At 28 January, 2007 11:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The angels put in some extra-duty on that one. Praise The Lord for his protection.

     
  • At 29 January, 2007 14:29, Blogger Simonetta said…

    I believe that red, the snake had been given a sharp blow which is visible on the left of the body, a blow breaks the backbone of the snake and it can't slither off.

    That snake was alive and well when it entangled itself in that netting as one can see where it entangled itself to try to get out.

    Many stay in the nets alive for days and are still deadly, and will strike. And, my little birds could not have given it a whack like that! brrrrrrrr, it leaves me cold to think how many times I probably touched the thing not knowing it was there.

     
  • At 30 January, 2007 18:29, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is said that those birdies have a saying; Fly softly but carry a big stick.

    I was doing a search on Google on Julian The Apostate and your blog came up! There it was! Sim on Google. You are famous!

     
  • At 03 February, 2007 17:17, Blogger Simonetta said…

    Woweeee red!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home