The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Blackout

Yesterday, in sweltering heat (over 44c here) the whole State of Victoria suffered a Power Blackout.
This can be read about HERE

Of course, the news centres on Melbourne with Melb being the capital city, but things were not pleasant here as this is where we really get the heat. But nobody publishes anything about this insignificant place

Our shops all closed down and we were without power for 3 - 4 hours.

I was shocked when everything just seemed to close down! The air conditioner and fans went off as did all the digital clocks. (I must stop setting those). Checking the fuses showed all was well so I phoned a friend after not being able to get through to the Power Authority as blackouts are quite comon here and was wondering how long, and which part of the mallee was affected.

My friend told me the whole State was out. I think it may be a first for the State, not too positive about that.

Melbourne must have seemed odd without traffic lights etc; bit many parts of the metropolis did not have to suffer the ength of time we had to suffer.

These kinds of things are good for us up here. Well, I can only speak of self in this case as I lived without electricity in Queensland for years.

There is a peace without electricity which is serene. Yes, there is the inconvenience, but there is also an intangible magic which seems to causes us to do things we would not otherwise do.

I pottered around on the front verandah. Then, sat at the outdoor garden setting to enjoy the solitude. Beside me was a nice long cool drink.

I laughed that evening when the power came back on though. I had gone out to capture some photo's and returned home to find that the only street lamp in the whole town working was the one outside my house!

It just goes to prove God protects!

4 Comments:

  • At 18 January, 2007 16:40, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here in Houston, we are partly shut down due to a winter storm. Even so, I received a mosquito bite that is driving me nutso.

    Where's Michael?

     
  • At 18 January, 2007 21:35, Blogger Simonetta said…

    I think Mike has got the huffs red.
    You are partly shut down due to a winter storm!! Crazy world .....

     
  • At 18 January, 2007 23:35, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm watching you.

     
  • At 19 January, 2007 15:34, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Captain Mike,

    I wasn't sure if we should fire-up the Mother Ship, or not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home