The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Tough Work!

Had to repair the front verandah yesterday, white ants had got into 3 boards which had to be lifted and new ones go into their places.

My home is very, very old and has gone through various 'facelifts'. The front verandah lies beneath a bull nosed verandah roof, and is a verandah I love dearly due to it's early pioneer atmosphere with the floor to ceiling square glass paned windows and shutters.

The colour sceme of the exterior is one of my own choice this time and ultra feminine I guess. But, this is my home now and so guess I can do what I like



The house been photographed by people over and over again, and has been used as the design for a well known Australian cross stitch pattern and featured in books as such. One man too, a photograph, photographed the house then painted it in oils which is something I must do.

But even with it's charm, grace, and old time character with the cottage garden,and rambling roses, there is alot of maintenance to do. Unfortunately, I have to do this myself. (aaaaarghhhh)

Today, I had the task of mending the fernery which partly collapsed in shock after the last rain.

We redesigned the house to make it a big living area, with a large kitchen for casual living. I am thinking that now the large living area may need new carpet.

The house itself I call a cottage, but it is a huge cottage and the interior has inspired many who have seen it. Unfortunately, I am a clutterbug who has pretty ornaments, and table lamps everywhere forgetting these things have to be dusted ....
*erk* but, I do not like overhead lights at nightfall. I like a dim lights with a nice reading lamp.

I suppose I like 'asmosphere'.

One of the beauties of my home is the high ceiling in the living area, this allows for cool in our summer months. During winter, the large gas heater does the trick.

Many of my plants have died during the drought but the climbing roses were a show never to be forgotten, and they are still flowering.

The next task is to tackle the garden once again as climbing ivies can get out of hand. So much to do! Oh well, what's time?!!!

7 Comments:

  • At 13 January, 2007 11:56, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sim, why don't you hire somebody to do those hard jobs for you. In outrageous heat you can only do yourself harm by tackling carpentry jobs.

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 12:17, Blogger Simonetta said…

    Good question Pat, but it really was only a minor job.

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 13:09, Blogger Simonetta said…

    What's a girl got to do ...... :doh:

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 13:51, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mr Malleebull, what is you obsession with my cousin. What right have you to demand anything of her. This total obsession of her is more than unhealthy for you and would be more than frightening to MY COUSIN you country hick OAF!

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 17:41, Blogger Simonetta said…

    Excuse me Michael? Perhaps if you study those words you have just typed you may understand why I have you on ignore.

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 20:48, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 13 January, 2007 21:10, Blogger Simonetta said…

    Do I really have to babysit a blog?
    Sorry about that Denny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home