The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh Brother ...

Some people blog well; some people blog terribly; some people blog interestingly; some people can't blog at all;
I fall into the last category ....

But, today I was pm'd at Mordor for help once again, help I will give willingly if possible.

No, not as one of the mad mods .... this is another matter. The matter of two Australians in need.

So, this led me to my daily ponderings of how many times during a man/woman's life does he/she help another person in need.

God knows the sadness there is in this world, and if we can help just a jot it gives us so much pleasure knowing we have done something to lift a person's spirit.

I recall as a little child I always thought people who were drunk were very sick, and so, I would always guide them home to Mum and Dad. Drunk people were invited for Christmas Dinner compliments of your's truly.

The act was very honourable indeed, but in a house where no liquor was to be seen it was a tad out of place especially when they kept asking Dad where the "plonk" was kept and turning Mum's cupboards out looking for it. Mum's gentle reply to the question was always ... " we don't drink liquor in this house. I am a catholic."

Those words always seemed to act like a gunshot to them leaving the young me to ponder on how such a 'sick person' could leave a house so fast, especially at Christ-mas.

I have no idea whatsoever what Mum's being a catholic had to do with anything but those four little words were used by Mum to remove anyone she wasn't too sure of out the front gate.

I never cared about a person's status in life, to me, a soul was a soul and every person, no matter how earthly they had fallen, had a story behind the fall. My Catholic School Uniform and badges never scared the drunks, but those four words from Mum seemed to put the fear of God into them.

Lonely, saddened wretched people seem to drench this planet with their fears and tears. People who are human beings and often well educated are left to suffer and fend for themselves while the rest of the world keeps turning their backs.

And there but for the Grace of God go I and many other mortals.

This Australia Day it's a pity some don't think of the homeless and suffering Australians instead of sitting back drinking their champagne or wines and nibbling while on some "great" holiday for the long weekend.

3 Comments:

  • At 26 January, 2007 22:28, Blogger Simonetta said…

    The answer to your question is no Mike, I expected everyone to celebrate the freedom our Warriors of Australia fought for. Our Military FORCES of AUSTRALIA fought for and which others are now taking for granted.

    I just thought a little prayer for the homeless would be nice. That's all.

     
  • At 26 January, 2007 23:16, Blogger Simonetta said…

    Odd question!
    The answer is no, he was not deeply religious. But he was a firm Believer with unshakeable faith.

     
  • At 26 January, 2007 23:58, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had a very big Australia Day with alot of rellies here, thanks for that little reminder Sim.It is good for us to remember the less fortunate in our country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home