The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Life On The Line

I have been asked to place an entry about my lengthy career as a mod so thought it might be OK. NO NAMES WIL BE MENTIONED.

Being on a Mod Squad is no fun really. It's alot of hard work, thankless, demanding and exact.

People love you - people hate you.

The Mods under intense fire from hatred are those who mod exceptionally High Traffic and hard forums.

These were the Forums I modded along with many gentle ones.

A christian forum is, to me, one where there are only christians. Sadly, this place allowed atheists, muslims, gays, satanists and you name it's along with christians. And the fighting was intense.

No - it wasn't fighting, it was war.

Apologetics was deplorable and one place where everyone gathered who was just out to argue. Ethics & Morality was an intense forum where only the very brave dared to enter for they spoke about things which no decent people really talk about.

Non christian religion is another tough one where muslims try to convert christians and vice versa.

I modded those three along with other hard ones.

The training period is fun, then, when that is over Forums are assigned to the mod.
At first they are light as heavy traffic forums are not permitted to the novice.

If one sees a mod with very light forums one knows the mod cannot handle the intensity of High Traffic such as those mentioned.

I was thrown into Ethics and Morality for starters. It was hard, darn hard. But, I had a good mentor who guided me through.

It was in E&M where I received my sex education. Oh My God!! It was an education I could have done without!

But, I was stuck with this vile forum and trapped there as I learned fast, and did my job well. Many times I requested "Lemme out!" - and as many times I was told I was needed and no, I could not be released.

Then, I was requested to mod General Apologetics. My eyes widened at THIS one! NOOO!!! They couldn't do it to me!!
But, I had proven mysely in E&M and the heart rendering request to take on G.A too was reluctantly accepted.

The nightmare began as the two Forums were the hardest Forums on the whole site to moderate.

Threads were closed for 'cleaning', (Deletion of horrific posts) and warnings issued.

One G.A Mod cracked under the strain and left soon after I started. That left me and a couple of other mods.

Then, they needed a strong Mod for Non Christian Religion and requested I be the one to take the Forum. My explanation of modding G.A. and E&M was intense did not work.
So, I was assigned to NCR.

By now I had them fighting in G.A., carrying on in E&M and fighting in NCR.
The reports came in fast and furious.

Mods were amazing how they timed things. They always vanished on the tough Forums when known trouble makers came online never to be seen until the following day.

Over and over I would check to see if my fellow mods were online - nope! And the red light kept flashing........

I came to loathe that red light calling me to a report.

All mods were asked to have a 'sock puppet' (another non mod account. It was such a pleasure when I logged into mine. From the other account I could post in peace with no red light flashing.

It was no fun to learn that many mods posted in E&M and G.A. under their sock puppets where they flamed other members something shocking!

I learned they were actually mods the hard way. I Unofficially Warned a mod. This of course was demanded to be lifted (which was done immediately). One cannot warn a mod for calling another member a "bloody stupid heathen with boots for brains". No,no.

Then came time for me to be called to U.T. Another hard Forum where Christians mingle with the mormons etc; and one tries to convert the other.

I took it on as nobody else would hoping they would behave themselves. No,no. They got worse!

It seemed the red light would never stop.
It was nothing to go to sleep only to find 78 unattended reports in my pm box when I awoke.

There was a very limited few mods I liked or trusted. Many become moderators for the status, not the job. They were not my kind of people whatsoever.

And although moderating is called a "ministery" it is far from that. It's an unpaid job on a forum such as that one and nothing else.

As a mod, I met the most deceitful and degrading types of "christians" I think the world could offer. And, I met lovely christians who were far too good to be bothered with the types there.

It amazed me to see so many married women and men on the forum. Had I not been single, I would have been with my husband and certainly not at a place like that!!

It was also amazing to watch the flirtations which took place. I was too busy to notice until a Mod pm'd me and pointed out a few things on a certain forum. I peeked and we went onto msn and could laugh about them and watch their antics.

Wasted time for me but well worth it for the laugh!!

It was for flirtation reasons forums for singles were created. (We were wondering if one of the so called 'pastors' on the place would marry some of them)!!

Of course only some of we mods believed the people were pastors. I didn't believe a word these 'pastors' said! To me they were just another lot of liars wanting attention.

I was requested to mod the Singles Forums and to that, I had only one word to answer. "No". They seemed to understand 'no' better than an explanation as to why.

PM's came in of love, and abuse. As I was modding the "Bad Forums" abuse was mainly what was received.

These we downloaded and saved to documents. I still have mine saved which have been burned to disc.

Appeals against warnings were common. We groaned when these came in. One in particular I will never forget. Appeals were downloaded secretly and saved in Documents. Mine have now been burned to disc as a reminder of the hatred and spite held in the hearts of too many "christians".

Bad threads we had to cleanout were downloaded and saved prior to cleaning.

We could see everyone's IP address, and that was something I had a great problem with as there were known hackers on the Forum.

Some mods joined the squad only to stay a short time, then leave which was sad but understandable.

I spent a whole wasted year doing this work. Many say it wasn't wasted, but to me it was a waste of time, and a waste of effort, for today the place is said to be utterly disgraceful, and one no decent person would dare to venture.

The jealousy against some mods from other staff members was at danger point. This was the reason many mods went on "holidays" while others actually did go on holidays leaving their burden of work to other overworked mods.

Sneaks who were banned would open other accounts and carry on with their nonsense. Many of these I caught and ebanned. They would enter with no IP not knowing we had tricks and ways of finding out if they were the same person or not.

I learned too much being a Senior Moderator. I saw the world of christanity from a different point of view for the first time in my life and then understood the words "Many will be called but few will be chosen".

And, what the ordinary poster never knew was, posted in many forums were hidden posts which could only be seen by a Moderator...........


55 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home