The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wind Storms Victoria





















Yesterday, we were buffeted by winds but they reached ferocity coming on sunset.

I don't want to place a stiff journalist report about them here but rather write of my own personal experience.

It was easy to note the sky getting darker as the afternoon went on, and I knew the storms were mallee wide, perhaps reaching southern towns and rural cities.

But, we are always in for a few shocks and that came when my daughter phoned me from Ballarat this morning and told me they almost lost part of their house.

This is the beginning of summer, we have a shocking time ahead of us and have only had a taste.

My Cottage is over 100 years old. My daughters first words were "How did the house stand up to it Muz?" I had to laugh. This old house has withstood worse than that!

The new houses are the ones they are repairing!

I praise God I had the roof rebolted following my husbands death. A few strips came off but I can soon nail new ones onto the redgum frame.

I can't say that fear did not overcome me with a few gusts, but managed to cough and splutter through the whole thing knowing the animals were all safe inside and the fowlhouses in good standing with the poultry in their little house.

These dust storms are terrifying to the novice of the outback. I recall the drought of 1982 and the fear I experienced when a dust storm swept through the town in the midday causing all streetlights to glow, roly polies to roll up the streets and a riderless horse bolt through the town. All we needed was John Wayne.

But at that time, I could run to my husband. Yesterday, hit home the fact that I would never be able to do that again.

But, I slept like a baby. The last thing I recall as I looked outside the huge bedroom windows from my bed was an enormous sort of a flash of lightening. Maybe it sent me into a coma?! I don't know, but I did have a good sleep as dust storms can drain a person of all energy, and I had been drained.

The temperature dropped alarmingly and enabled a good sleep.

Today, the weather is is fine and sunny, but a light wind persists.

They have forecast bad storms for our area but somehow, I have to wait to see them as I can't trust man and his weather forecasts. We still go by the actions of animals and insects.

In such instances as yesterday, it is the fight for personal survival where I live. No phone calls came through to ask if all was well here, and somehow, that hurt me!

The fire was at Wooroonook and is thought to have been deliberately lit. It has burned out many hectares and an old church which was renovated into a home.
Firefighters say the heavy logs will remain burning for some time.
Alot of wildlife has been burned to death but no reports of any sheep or cattle.

My thanks go to my online friends for caring, and for their prayers.


9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home