The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Is This Really Fair?






















OK, I did not take the photo's in my blog today, they were taken by my wonderful Son In Law and with whom I share a passion for photography. (Thanks to him I am a photographer)

They have been heavily reduced in size and he sent them to me yesterday.



The photo's are of Lake Wendouree in Ballarat, Victoria ( in Australia for my lovely American mates - not Canada. ;))

Folk in Ballarat are on stage 4 water restrictions. If they apply for the grant to place a rainwater tank up, they will also be charged for whatever water they collect in their tanks when the rain falls.

Stage 4 is a heavy water restiction.

And, some people in Ballarat have built large wooden platforms to lie on in order to probe the bottom of Lake Wendouree for old bottles! *erk*

(Lambertus!! I need photo's of those people!!)

Lake Wendouree was a Lake of utter charm and majesty; a place where people met, had picnics, strolled and played, and where rowing was a popular sport.

Now look at it - it is a dead landscape, and these photos are a few weeks old.

In Australia, water is liquid gold and greed is already settling over the stricken parts of the continent as men and women begin to steal water from other peoples tanks.

But I find THIS pretty selfish and greedy.


"Large quantities of the state's most precious resource, pure drinking water,will be siphoned off by a bottled water manufacturer with links to soft drink giant CocaCola Amatil, which will pay a mere $2.40 per million litres for the privilege.

The charge is well below the $960 paid by Melburnites for a megalitre of tap water, or the $45 paid by farmers for the same quantity of irrigation water."


I don't know what Bracksy is talking about when he says he feels sorry for the people suffering from the drought when they are giving away water in this manner.

The elections are nearly with us, the Drought in Australia may have a huge impact on voting. I know one thing for sure. I just don't want to vote this time as I don't really know if I can trust pollies anymore.

Maybe I am wrong, but after reading that water is being given away for something like that, I feel they are not for the people.

Living in the Mallee, I know how precious water is. We live with dust, dust, and more dust until we are fed up with dusting.

Lately, there have been sporadic showers of rain - but, they are gone in a flash. Still, I praise God for them as my potatoes an veges are growing well under the little raindrops. Hopefully, there will be a good crop as my daughter doesn't have room to grow veges - and certainly couldn't water them if she did have room!

Beneath Victoria there are natural springs from which water is pumped to water crops ect; this water comes up very blue and is crystal clear. Natural crystal clear underwater is sweet and very drinkable.

Sadly - the people may not ever be able to see it as large Companies have power over it. This is so selfish it is beyond my comprehension.

I wonder when the Messiah will come to put an end to all this greed and selfishness on earth? There is no use our even trying to calculate this great event as only God knows the time it will happen!

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home