The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Curse Of Gambling.














Sometimes life can be so strange. We never know what twists there will be in the road, or what may happen to bring one's life crashing down around them - or what joys may await in the future. Amd somehow I must get what I am to write out of me or go completely nutters.


My chief concern now is for my friend whose husband has had a stroke. But, although he has had a massive stroke which has affected his brain, he is still able to remember his wife and her favorite haunts.

Her most favorite haunt is the Pokies where she has gambled away all his money and whatever money she can borrow from friends.

For that reason, and because so many of us have been caught by her wily tactics, money can never be loaned to her.

Her husband was a wealthy man who was widowed. He was smart, and very handsome, but could not live without a woman. So, he met his wife at some odd place where derelicts live.

The Love ring he bought her was simply stunning - and very expensive. And it told the world she belonged to him and warned other men off.

Within four months, the ring vanished. She said she had lost it, but it turned out she had pawned it and used the money to play poker machines.

I grieved for him as he was such a lovely man and knew he was being conned by a very cunning, yet likeable woman.

He believed her story that the ring had been lost and replaced it with another which conveniently was also lost.

They married in a quiet ceremony with only friends present. But he looked so happy and she played the radiant bride.

Within a few years the screaming coming from their house almost made the neighbours shift out. Temper tantrums were common and often he called me to go to her to try to pacify her. It was hopeless. She laid face down on the bed and screamed like a child because he would not take her to the Pokies.

Within a few years, he was broke and had to go onto a Government pension. That as when she left him for the first time.

He came to me broken hearted, but I knew she would be back. And, she was.

Time and again she left him - time and again she returned until none of us knew whether she was coming or going.

In every way possible he tried to break her addiction to Poker machines. And we all helped him. But nothing worked.

Finally, the lovely cars he once owned became wrecks. It seemed he lived in a nightmare he couldn't escape from.

She could never love anybody but herself - and Poker Machines. At one stage she was banned from the Poker Club for a week and it was God Help us all, particularly her husband.

Years passed and this smartly dressed man became the town derelict. Everything he had owned had gone into Poker Machines. He walked the streets in old, dirty creased clothes. Did the shopping for her, cooked the meals and cleaned the house.

And always, following my husbands death, he visited me to see how I was going.

Today, he is in a wheelchair and forever phoning his wife. If she is not at home, he phones the Poker Club to see if she is there.

And, his wife is screaming blue murder because he won't leave her alone - and she has to live in the house alone.

"It is at night when I am frightened B" she confided to me, " the house creaks! how do I know there isn't a prowler around? I don't think I can live alone! I am living a nightmare! What am I going to do? I can't stand living alone and him ringing me all the time! I have to go to the pokies! I don't know how to live alone!"

Well, when she had him, she had the most beautiful husband one could imagine, but she couldn't see that. She had her own bedroom and he was not permitted to enter as she lived her life as she wanted it and he was banished to the background.

Today, I spent alot of time with her explaining HOW to live alone. It was tough. Darn tough as words didn't seem to sink into her head. She wanted to go to the Pokies.

A marriage without God, can it function normally? I am at a bit of a loss with her as she is so unpredictable, yet very predictable!

I had to explain to her that old houses do creak, especially in a drought. That nobody here would prowl around her house - when I know that some will! However, I doubt if they will worry her.

Now, she is trying to attract a friend of mine who also likes to go to the Pokies.
A friend who made a date to take me to the Pokies and I backed out at the last minute through sheer terror as he is not a Godly man. But a man I still think highly of just the same. Not romantically - but as a friend.

And while she is trying to dodge her sick husband's phone calls, she is chasing my friend whom I saw today and who asked me for help regarding her attentions.

Ask me for help in a matter of that kind?!!! All I could do was laugh at him much to his pretend disgust.

He is a lovely man and deserving of someone who won't break him financially, mentally and physically.

Women can be so odd at times. During the romance, they are lovely. Once the ring goes on the finger SOME can turn into virago's and lead a man to suicide.

I cannot sleep for thinking about this sad situation between two people who took the Sacrament of marriage.

And, I cannot help but feel that people should allow God to be the Matchmaker.

In all the time I knew them as a married couple they never talked together! Never watched a movie together! Never went anywhere together!

They never played a game together, or laughed together, held hands in public or even talked about a book together!

He did all the housework and cooking while she played bowls and the Poker machines.

Now, it is almost over for him - and just starting for her. The life as one.

I dunno - I just can't understand women at times. To love and be loved in return is the greatest thing in this world anyone can have. There is no price on it - for it is priceless.

I wonder if she is going through a sort of "what goes round comes round" type of a thing?


16 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home