The Life Of One Alone

The life and thoughts of a widow.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Daylesford Victoria










Driving into Daylesford was strange for this was the first time I had
visited the beautiful township alone.
The last time I visited was in 1998 with my late husband driving, and to visit my late Aunt and Uncle who lived there. Within two years from that visit, the three were to lay in their graves.

Entering the town was not an easy feat as memories came flooding back. Memories of laughter beside a lovely warm fire, and many hugs. Of their looks of happiness when they saw me, and disappointment when I left.

I had also visited my parents who had lived there, the memories did not seem to end. Memories which seemed to echo from the rolling hills.

It is a town for which I have a great love. A town which today is filled with many artistic folk, and many gay people I believe. It is also a town where house values are high.

I could not stay long at Daylesford due to the overwhelming emotion I felt, but, could never have left it without seeing Wombat Hill and sipping the scenery with my camera and senses.

I did not visit my Aunt and Uncles former lovely homes, but did go to see my parents house, now filled with new owners.

The last time I had visited my parents at Daylesford it had snowed and Mum had refused to leave her bed while I frolicked in the snow and climbed trees just to toss snowballs at Dad, and he at me, much to her disgust. And, I might add, to the despair of my late husband ...

To Dad, it had been a time of joy for that day, together, we had romped and laughed just as we had when I was a child.

Today, both my parents lie in their graves, the old Daylesford I knew had gone.

I was now viewing it alone.

How I found the strength to go to a place so filled with memories is beyond me, but time moves on, and I must move on with it alone. These things must be faced, and accepted, hence my journey to Daylesford.

Now, I can say that the last time I visited Daylesford was in August, 2006. And, it is still as beautiful to look at ...


http://www.daylesford.net/daylesford.htm


http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/sjones/0/0/1/doc/sj001706.shtml

I tried to stand in the same place to take my image as the photographer who took the image in 1907, but sadly electric wires spoil the view today.




















6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home